Forum home Plants

Repotting on Xmas tree

I have got a Xmas tree that I have grown in pot for last 3 years.  It has been repotted every year and has grown well.  I have just noticed that it is looking quite spindly compared to before.  I have got a huge pot and compost ready but is it ok to do it now.

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,999

Hello susananwms

Assuming your Xmas tree is the Norway Spruce (Picea abies) , they come from areas of exceptionally high rainfall (up to 2 to 3 metres(!) per year) ; their main growing cycle occurs from May to July and then abruptly ends .

Transplant at any time , keep very wet , preferably with rainwater .

A difficult tree to grow successfully in most of England ; the best specimens I've seen are in Cumbria and probably Wales . Most of them seen in gardens are spindly and seldomly seem happy .

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,999

PS

Talking of Spuces , I remember growing Picea mariana ( Black Spruce) years ago ; totally adapted to N.Canadian winters , its growing season in the UK was between June and July , where it managed to put on 4 inches of growth per year . image

• Am not sure what it is but has grown really well and remained quite bushy up to now. I am in Wales so plenty of rain.  I will transplant it tomorrow, am sure it will do better with some good soil.  I will wait and see what it does next year, Thanks for your replies