Forum home Plants

overwintering Dahlia Bishop's Children

mandormandor Posts: 1

This year some of my Dahlia planted from seed while other plants did not.  Is it worthwhile to overwinter the tubers of the plants that did not produce flowers.

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,601

Well, if you have the time and the space.......

• mcdoodmcdood Posts: 24

Most of mine flowered and I just plan to overwinter the ones I liked best. In my view they had their chance this year so if didn't flower into the bin they go :)

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,601

I find it REALLY difficult to throw anything away, even if I don't like it or it's half dead. Probably the wrong person to give advice on this subject!

• mcdoodmcdood Posts: 24

Posy - I've been quite good this year on the ruthless front (not like me either) even thrown some named Dahlias that I didn't like for one reason or another (too big in the main). Although that may have been impatience to get my spring bulbs into their containers. :)

Mandor - how did your Bishops Children turn out?. I have some of the named Bishops: Oxford, Canterbury, Auckland, Llandaff  and to be honest some of the Children I grew from a seed packet resembled these named ones quite well so looking forward to seeing if they have formed decent tubers and will overwinter ok.