Forum home Plants

Weed is taking over my garden, need ID!

I keep digging up this weed week on week and I don't know what it is.  It's spreading everywhere.  Can anyone tell me what it is?  Many thanks.  Tony

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391

Did it have orange flowers in June/July?  If so it's likely Pilosella aurantiaca (aka Orange Hawkweed or  Fox & cubs) which spreads by underground runners as well as seed.  Can be tricky to control.

http://wildflowerfinder.org.uk/Flowers/F/FoxAndCubs/FoxAndCubs.htm

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,877

hat looks a bit to prickly for Pilosella.. More like Bristly Oxtongue, Helminthotheca echioides

• Hi Bob,  Many thanks for your reply.  It has not flowered as yet as I dig it up all the time so it hasn't flowered.  Seems to have lot of tiny root and not connected.  The leaves stick to my gloves.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391

In that case I believe nut has it (as usual!) image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Bristly Oxtongue appears to be about right, thanks for that.  Just looked at it on google and its a good match.  Much appreciated!  Do you know if there's an easy way to stop them? I just dig them out continuously.

• Just googled and best way is to keep digging them out.  Moved into new house in April and lawn was very neglected which is perfect for these. I'm sure they'll stop as I bring the lawn back to life.  Many thanks chaps.