Lovely neighbours

josusa47josusa47 Posts: 1,450

We get so many posts from people complaining about their neighbours' activity or lack of it, I thought I'd try and reverse the trend.

One of the things which influenced our choice of this house was that I'd chanced to meet the people next door when I came to view the house, and they'd made a good impression. They were friendly and their front garden was well-kept, which was a good sign!  We didn't know what the neighbours would be like at any of the other houses we were considering.  The day we moved in, they were falling over themselves to welcome us and be helpful, and we have remained good friends.

The entire length of our mutual boundary has a mature hedge of Escallonia.  I don't like it, it casts a dense shade, grows faster than I can keep it cut, and I'm for ever digging its seedlings out of the block-paved drive.  I'd like to get rid of it and replace it with traditional hedgerow plants, eg holly, hawthorn, hazel, to benefit wildlife.  When I put this idea to Rod and Irene, they didn't like it, and I valued their friendship too much to persist.  A few weeks later, I suggested a compromise, to lower the top by about a foot.  As we are none of us tall, I didn't think there'd be any loss of privacy, but they still weren't happy about it, so I let it drop.

The very next morning, blow me down, they were out there with their hedgecutter, and several feet of the hedge at the street end had been lowered.  I suppose they realised that privacy wasn't really an issue in the front since everyone walking down the street can see our front gardens.  I'd planned to pay someone to do it, but they'd done it for me, for nothing but goodwill.  They also lowered and thinned the crowns of two trees which shade our front in the late afternoon, though we'd never complained about them.

I'm so glad because now I'll be able to keep the hedge under control.  I couldn't reach to cut the top, and standing on a stepladder while using a power tool was a risk I wasn't happy to take.

I put a gift voucher through their door by way of thanks.

• KT53KT53 Posts: 2,526

Good neighbours are worth their weight in gold.  Ours are wonderful although sadly the husband, my gardening mentor, died about 18 months ago.  I still expect to see him wandering down the garden as there was barely a day went by when he wasn't out there.

Even after he had major abdominal surgery he wanted to help.  I was removing bamboo runners just a couple of weeks after he got home, and it wasn't easy doing it by myself.  Suddenly I heard a voice "I can't pull them but I can hold them up while you get under them".  He simply couldn't not help.

Wonderful memories.  imageimage

• SussexsunSussexsun Posts: 1,433

There are only 6 houses in my road and a small private road with 2 houses at the back of me. The neibours behind I don't know and I never see them out in their garden. The seem to like the concrete look as their garden is very structured with a lot of concrete pathways between a small lawn and small flower beds. They did ask to replace my fence before they did It so unless I stand on the wall I can't see it so each to their own and at least I got a nice new fence out of it.

my other neibours are all a few years older than me. Nice and friendly in passing but not the types to be popping over all the time although they always stop for a chat if I am working in the front, wave if I drive by and we swap Christmas cards but that is about the extent of our interaction.

To see a world in a grain of sand and heaven in a wild flower Hold infinity in the palm of your hand and eternity in an hour.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 12,739

When we bought this place there was a delay between signing the contracts and moving in.   I sent our new neighbours - gendarme and family with 3 horses and cattle farmers with 500 head - a letter telling them who we were and when we thought we'd be moving in and saying we'd be there in between for a week of painting and strimming and assuring them we were used to country life and not about to throw city dweller wobblies about livestock and farm noises.

They were delighted and in the painting week the farmers invited us for "apéro" - home made Pineau!! so no cutting in edges afterwards - and we've invited both sides to dinner and been back since we arrived.   Lots of friendly chat and info when we pass too.    Everybody happy.

Last edited: 03 October 2017 12:04:38

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw