I have become that person...

I have officially become an angry middle aged man, today I reported our new neighbour (whose garden runs behind ours) for erecting this monstrosity without planning permission. I suspect and hope it is illegal.

Apparently it is to be clad in grey plastic if it is not...

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 21,997

eek!!

Devon.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 26,738

Ooh err Steve...I don't blame you....image

Surely he needs planning permission for that? It's mahoosive, unless that's a very tiny man on the roof.... image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• SussexsunSussexsun Posts: 1,444

I think that monstrosity would come under permitted development so no planning needed.

there is a few exceptions and rules to follow but most garden structures are built under the permitted development rules.

To see a world in a grain of sand and heaven in a wild flower Hold infinity in the palm of your hand and eternity in an hour.

Have a read to see if it comes under permitted development here

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/43/outbuildings/2

To see a world in a grain of sand and heaven in a wild flower Hold infinity in the palm of your hand and eternity in an hour.

• Thank you, I know the rules which is why I've complained so that the local council can check as it seems to be too tall...

My neigbours have a summer house larger than that thing but does look a lot better. I think the pitch of the roof is 2.5 metres which just comes under regulation height. Sneak across with your tape measure to check it out.

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,593

I think you're right Steve - it's not allowed to be more than 2.5 metres tall if it's right on your boundary. It looks too tall unless, as FG says, it's being built by elves.

Why ever would he think he could do that and no one would say anything? What is it anyway - an aircraft hangar? image

Flying...
    Or am I falling?
  • Apparently tis a home office...

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 17,971

He should have gone for a Cameron shepherd hut!   So much more stylish.

I hope it is illegal and that it has to go.  If not, I'm sure we can help you come up with plants and features to hide it.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 26,738
    Steve the Gardening Vet says:

Apparently tis a home office...

See original post

Perhaps you misheard Steve, and he said THE home office.....image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....