Forum home Plants

Another identification request

I'm no Gardener so I have been very grateful to this plant that arrived uninvited a couple of years (ish) ago.  It is in my front garden and provides an excellent screen to a very busy junction. This year it got up to about 10 foot high with a very large spread so I have cut it back quite severely.  Now I am being asked what it is; HELP!

imageimage

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 3,000

Leycesteria formosa

• I asked for help to identify the exact same plant the other day on the Gardeners World FB page and got the same response. There are several in the garden I have recently purchased and some are 10-12 feet high and about 7 or 8 feet across. I wanted to know what it was so I could find out about cutting it back. Although it was recommended to cut 1/3 a year to ground level, I am of the view that it has been so badly maintained in the past that it could do with a really good cut back this year so I will probably take half of it back down to ground level and let the rest stay until next year. Looks amazing though and I believe the pheasants like the berries - maybe they will eat them when they have finished polishing off all my blackcurrants :)

• Thank you both:

For Info:

Leycesteria formosa (Himalayan honeysuckle,[1] flowering nutmeg, Himalaya nutmeg or pheasant berry) is a deciduous shrub in the family Caprifoliaceae, native to the Himalaya and southwestern China. It is considered a noxious invasive species in Australia, New Zealand, the neighboring islands of Micronesia, and some other places.[2][3]

The generic name was coined by Nathaniel Wallich, director of the Calcutta Botanic Garden in honor of his friend William Leycester, a judge in the native court in Bengal[4]

It has soft, hollow, upright green stems 1–2 m tall, which only last for 2–5 years before collapsing and being replaced by new stems from the roots. The leaves are opposite, dark green, 6–18 cm long and 4–9 cm broad, with an entire or wavy margin. The flowers are produced on 5–10 cm long pendulous racemes; each flower is small, white, subtended by a purple bract. The fruit is a soft purple-black berry 1 cm diameter, eaten by birds which disperse the seeds.

L. formosa became a popular plant in Victorian shrubberies. Attempts have been made in recent years to repopularise the species in Britain with new cultivated varieties appearing in garden centres