Forum home Plants

Japanese anemone

Ann85Ann85 Posts: 53

I Iike to plant my new 10cm Japanese anemone in a large pot as I have heard the roots can spread and become invasive. On further reading it seems it can also spread all across the garden by seed - maybe I should not plant it all all! Does anyone know whether it will be safely contained in a pot? Thank you 

Last edited: 01 October 2017 15:25:43

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,183

IT DEPENDS.

SOME PEOPLE SAY THAT IT RUNS RIOT IN THEIR GARDEN.

I CAN'T KEEP THEM ALIVE IN MINE. image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 6,320

I have several in my garden and they do spread but I've only noticed them spreading very close to the 'source plant', by roots. That's not to say the don't self seed, but I've not seen it.

It's a very distinctive leaf, so if you did find them seeding into your soil, you can pull them up. There are plenty of other plants that self seed prolifically but which don't seem to have such a scary reputation - foxgloves, granny bonnets, geranium phaeum, herbaceous potentilla - so I wouldn't let the scare stories spook you too much. The main reason Japanese anemones are seen as a problem is the root suckering once they get established, not self seeding. Just be watchful and if you do see seedlings appearing, dead head the source plant.

Not everyone can grow them, so you may find with all this fear of it spreading, your bigger problem is keeping it alive.

“Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first” 
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391

My experience is the same as Pansyface - 6 (3 different varieties) planted 2-3 years ago, now no sign whatsoever!

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,988

Total thugs which self seed all over the place and are impossible to get rid of.

• IamweedyIamweedy Cheshire East. Posts: 1,364

I have an Honorine Jobert in its second year and I have not seen many seedings or offsets so far. I have been watching.

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'

• a1154a1154 Sunny South Scotland Posts: 1,033

I heard they were thuggy so went out and bought one, its HJ as well.  On planting I've been told generally white ones are better behaved, and pink ones are the thugs.  Damn.

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,601

They don't spread in my garden but they have survived many years. They need little attention, flower for weeks when everything else is giving up and generally withstand the autumn gales. I have the most common pink and white ones - a more fancy type died instantly - and I wouldn't want to be without them.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,954

I love it too, and it doesn't spread out of control here. I only have white ones now, but I did have a pink in a previous garden.

I put it down to my soil and weather conditions - I think it's more tricky in light soils where it can run more easily. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234

I'm with pansyface on this one. They come to my garden to die which is a shame because I love them. image

• LoxleyLoxley NottinghamPosts: 4,964

A big white one had taken over our front garden in Bristol... no idea what variety but about 5 feet tall with white flowers. It had spread by roots under the crazy paving and even through to the other side of the front garden wall. I did manage to get it under control in the end, combination of glyphosate and dumping kettlefuls of boiling water onto it. I expect some of the more choice varieties are better behaved.