Forum home Plants

What to do now

sooty5sooty5 Posts: 107

Hi , I bought some young Salvias in 9cm pots which have grown well and have been repotted and are now young plants about 12' high . Are these sturdy enough to plant out now ? I live near Bristol so not too cold in winter , but have clayish soil . I only have an unheated cold frame or indoor cold bedroom to overwinter them in if i can't plant out . Thanks 

• sooty5sooty5 Posts: 107

Twelve inches not feet !

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,144

It depends on what type of Salvia they are. Do have a label on them, should say about hardiness.

i grow a red one, doesn't even like being out for long through the summer, some tall ones will survive with a big pile of mulch around the the base, others I have are as tough as old boots and will survive anything.

They will die right down to nothing soon anyway, whichever type they are, and come up again next year, so don't be upset if they disappear. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Gardening Which? have just done a test on salvias. They tested  24 varieties and 13 of them came through last winter - relatively mild and dry, frosts down to -5. The shrubby ones did best, none of the 3 'Wish' ones made it. I have to say that though Hotlips is not my favourite I have had a plant outside in a (large) pot for the last 4 years and it has survived hard frost, snow and winter wet, so I must give it credit for that!

They need well drained soil, sun and some sort of frost protection, mulch, fleece, cold frame or something else to help keep the frost off, even under a shrub might help.

If you are lucky you might get some cuttings to root before maybe losing your older plants, which would take up less room indoors. It's always a good insurance in any case. Living where I do, I always bring mine in and take cuttings too, so usually end up with extra plantsimage May try one or two others outside,  when I have enough spares.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,576

I suspect it's the wet feet as much as the cold air that does for salvias in UK winters.  I certainly took all mine in under shelter for Belgian winters.

I brought 3 with me - Amsitad, pineapple and Hot Lips (cos that was a gift from friends and the other two were cuttings from a friend).  They all survived a dry winter here in pots, outside and sheltered from northerly winds and westerly rains and -6C for a day or so.   The little babies of un-named but colourful varieties I bought at a plant fair and optimistically planted out did not survive.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Thank you for all comments , would they be alright in a cold frame please?

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,576

As long as it's deep enough and in a sheltered corner.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Thank you Obelixx, It is really a lean too mini greenhouse made of wood and i'm not sure it will be frost free so maybe i will overwinter them in a cold bedroom on the windowsill . Thanks everyone who replied