Please help me get rid of this!

Hi,

i have an area of my garden that is covered in the plant/grass pictured below. For years it was covered in plastic sheeting and stones until I removed the stones a couple of years ago and then they started to run wild! I want to completely get rid of them. I've tried spraying them with rosate tf 360 but although they are looking a bit worse for wear, I'm noticing new ones sprouting adjacent to the existing. I only sprayed them in august/September though. I thought I'd dig the new ones up but i was amazed at how deep the root went! I'm not green fingered at all by the way! Will I just have to cover them again with plastic sheet? we want to put paving slabs down there eventually. Thanks!

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 18,129

Some deep rooted plants just take several applications to get the hint and die.   It's best to apply a systemic weedkiller when the plants are in active growth and take the active ingredients right down to the roots.  That is usually spring and early summer.

If you can't wait that long, try strimming off all the top growth at soil level and then spray whatever re-grows but you'll have to do it now while there is warmth in the soil and air and before they shut down for winter.   It takes at least 2 weeks for the chemicals to penetrate and do their job.

If you want stable paving slabs and no heave, you'll need to make sure it's all dead so wait till spring to see if there's any new growth and zap that.  Then dig out as much as you can so you can lay ballast in the form of rubble and gravel before levelling the surface and laying your slabs.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • WillDBWillDB Posts: 1,965

Yep be patient and keep spraying. You will probably have to postpone your plans until you've successfully sprayed it all off, including any little bits that persist. It can take multiple applications of glyphosate, leaving long enough in between to check for any regrowth. It's Sasa veitchii. I'm at a loss why anyone would plant something like that in a garden!

• WillDBWillDB Posts: 1,965

I mean, it's not even an ornamental pain in the ass, is it? It looks scruffy...

• That looks like Bamboo, unfortunately.  Cut it all off at the base using some loppers (wear long-sleeves as it'll stick into your arms and give you a rash which can be very painful).

Now the hard bit... Unless you have a digger you're not going to dig out the root by hand it's too dense and too heavy.  So cover it over completely with something that will let absolutely no light whatsoever come through.  It'll stick out new shoots, it's imperative that no light get to these so that the energy they use to grow comes out of the root system and not from photosynthesis, and eventually the root system will not have enough to send out new suckers.  Cut these new shoots off as often as you can.

You can think about paving slabs once the virility of new shoots has dropped right off (or preferably, ceased completely). As you can't dig out the roots there will still be stumps so you'll need to screed a decent layer to hide them and help suppress any new shoots that might still come up.

For what it's worth I removed some bamboo roots using a mini-digger and they took over a year to die off and stop producing shoots completely, probably 4 months of fairly prolific production, but this was on a patch that was around 30 years old, this one looks less established so I wouldn't expect it to hang around quite so long.

• Ok thanks all! I've cut it all down and will get some black tarp to cover it over.