Growing veg from supermarket

2»

• FifsFifs Posts: 45

I've successfully grown butternut squash from the seeds from supermarket bought squash for a few years now.  Not tried anything else. Must admit in the last few years germination rates for some packet seeds have been really disappointing. Not sure what that's about.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,554
    Cottage Compost says:

I've used Sweet Pepper seed with great success.   I get a much better crop than bought seed, stronger plants too.

See original post

The best tomatoes I grew some time back was from a SM one, little red mini ones, came true.

Also the best success from buying a pepper and sowing the seeds straight away, I have grown the long sweet ones and bell ones, always come true and very good plants. 

Have a pretty mango tree at the moment, I know I won't get fruit but the leaves are nice. Kiwi seeds grow well fresh, but again don't expect fruit.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Obelixx says:

Supermarkets do pots of herbs which can be pricked out and potted on and grown but I would check the prices of plugs in garden centres and nurseries before buying pots of SM herb which are less likely to have had proper feeding, watering and light levels and usually have too much soft, sappy, etiolated growth.

See original post

Supermarket herbs are about £1 for a pot containing a large number of seedlings. Herb pots I've seen in garden centres have typically been a single seedling for maybe £1.50. It's true that individually the seedlings in the supermarket pots aren't in the best condition for planting out, but if you're careful when you split them up (soak the compost first) and look after them you can get several very good plants out of a single pot.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 17,914

True but round here the choice is limited to bog standard parsley and basil and, very occasionally, tarragon and coriander.   If you want nuances of flavour you have to sow.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,554

I always buy the parsley like that, £1.00 a pot, I got loads of plants from that to put in the garden and they grew really well, I dont even bother to grow from seeds anymore. Just not worth it. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 21,929

I've grown a lemon grass from a stem from the fresh section in Waitose.

Devon.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 17,914

Tried that and ginger too but that's a long way from expecting success with SM garlic, potatoes and apple pips.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • I've used shop-bought garlic with great success. I usually buy from a market or independent greengrocer, and I look for (preferably) Isle of Wight or French garlic rather than, say, Chinese.  Sometimes I just select my best bulbs and use them for the next year's crop, so I'm encouraging the process of natural selection. Works for me.

I always start my basil with a small supermarket pot, and straight away I plant it into a larger pot with some extra compost. It ends up really big and vigorous. The last one I bought was from Aldi for about 75p. It was small and floppy for a few days, and I thought it was a false economy, but it soon grew on into a monster of a plant, with huge leaves, and I am considering making some pesto to use it up.