Forum home The potting shed

Desert Island Gardening Tools

There you are and your boat has sunk. image

However...you've managed to grab your three favourite/most useful garden tools. image

What did you grab and why?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,334

MY SEVENTY YEAR OLD STAINLESS STEEL BORDER SPADE - IT COULD DOUBLE AS A FRYING PAN.

MY FELCO SECATEURS - THEY COULD DOUBLE AS NAIL CLIPPERS.

MY EXTENDABLE APPLE PICKER. IT COULD BE A HAT, A FISHING NET AND I COULD WAVE IT AROUND TO ATTRACT THE ATTENTION OF A PASSING SHIP.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • SlumSlum Posts: 323

Spade - so many uses

Secateurs - you're always going to need to cut stuff

Wheelbarrow - to help my back last longer

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 4,343

Hand fork- can't do anything in the garden without it - weeding, planting, harvesting, scratching my nose......

Secateurs - at least I can gather some kindling to get the fire going

Mattock - more useful than a spade in uncultivated ground - especially stony ground or where there are lots of tree roots. Can also be used to both dispatch and bury pirates and cannibals

“It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.” ― Terry Pratchett
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 16,071

Gosh, raisingirl, you're a plucky one, I would hide!

Secateurs, for the same reasons as above.

Something tall, such as a rake, to attach a piece of clothing to wave if a ship should appear, also for knocking down coconuts.

Am tempted by a small fork or trowel as I use them so much but don't know what I'd use them for with no seeds. So will go with wheelbarrow for gathering wood for fire (assuming I could light it) or stuff for making a shelter, or coconuts or fresh water from the inland stream (hope there is one or I wouldn't last long).

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 28,136

surely we'd all need 2 pairs of secatuers? Don't we always lose one mid job and find it a week later?

Devon.
    Hostafan1 says:

surely we'd all need 2 pairs of secatuers? Don't we always lose one mid job and find it a week later?

See original post

No - I keep mine in my back pocket which means I always find them when I sit down for a cup of tea image

“It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.” ― Terry Pratchett
  • As any ex-infantry man knows a trenching tool, for calls of nature, digging a slit trench in case Pirates bombard you and hand to hand if they try landing. Also shears for cutting new grass skirts for any stray maidens who may arrive and a Hoe for singing. Hey Hoe hey hoe its off to work I go.

Frank.

Busy-Lizzie says:

Gosh, raisingirl, you're a plucky one, I would hide!

See original post

Mm, although on the other hand I can be 'brave at a distance' safe in the knowledge you'd never get me on a boat in the first place image

• B3B3 Posts: 17,569

I basic hand weeder with two wide prongs - not a new-fangled tricksy one

2, a narrowish pointy trowel

3 sharp secateurs

In London. Keen but lazy.