Forum home Problem solving

Beach hedging

Hi all. 

Brand new to this great site. So a friend had to get rid of some of his beach hedging Just 3 days ago. I have a trench dug & ready to replant. Any tips? Thanks 

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,909

Hello Andrew374 , and welcome to this site !

If your beech hedging is in leaf right now , which I presume it will be , I would wait another month or so until the leaves are turning autumnal . You didn't say how large the plants are , but if you're willing to risk it, and your friends plants are not too well established , move now and keep well watered for the next few weeks .

If pot grown , plant anytime image

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,789

I assume you mean a hedge of beech plants.  How big?  How many?

Best time to move them is when they are dormant after all the leaves have turned brown.   Water the plants really well and leave to soak for an hour then dig them all up with as much root ball as possible.   I would use the soaking time to prune them back to a shorter, thinner plant as they'll be easier to dig up, move and re-plant.  Keep the root balls moist and covered from sun and wind.

Check that your trench is deep enough and that you have some well-rotted manure and/or garden compost to mix with the soil when you back fill.  Adding some bonemeal will help feed the roots and encourage them to grow and settle in their new home.   Place you plants and make sure they are at the same level as they were before when you fill in the trench.  Firm the soil gently round the roots with your boot so they don't rock in the wind and then water thoroughly.

Water every few days if you don't have decent rainfall  in the first few weeks and then cross your fingers.  They won't show any new growth till next spring which is when you need to give them a generous handful of pelleted chicken manure or blood, fish and bone per plant.  This will feed the whole plant.   In spring, you should also cut out any stems that are clearly dead and don't produce any new leaf buds.  Then it's a case of shaping it to the height and thickness you want.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Thanks for the promt response. It's 8 year old. Prob is it's already uprooted. About 10 meteres  8 plants. 7 ft high. Thank you 

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,909

Good luck !!image

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,789

In that case, soak the roots in buckets of water overnight to rehydrate - or kids' paddling pools - and trim it back hard before you plant them and then see what happens.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 6,510

Hmm.  At 7ft tall I wouldn't give much for its chances, I'm afraid...

"The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • Thanks for the info. Hedging in, have watered well & gave some fertilise. Fingers critic guess.