Forum home Problem solving

Weigela

I noticed today a varigated weigela has some branches that have reverted back to plain green. They are quite big branches but should I cut them back to the main stem? image

Also so am I able to cut them back at all now as it has been left for years and has got a bit unruly or should I wait until it has flowered in the spring

Thank you for any help  x

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,639

There is no problem cutting them down now, especially if you have not pruned them before. They benefit from pruning yearly. With regards to the loss of variagated leaves, you can prune them off too. Sometimes, the shrubs are not in good shape and it could be stress for a number of reasons, including heavy shade, they can do that to survive. 

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 18,503

Cut them off. You don't want them on a variegated shrub so the pruning after flowering doesn't apply.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • I liked the pale pink flowers better with the plain green leaves than with the variegated ones - I found the effect too 'messy' . So I took cuttings from the reverted stems and now have just plain green bushes. I think they are prettier and the flowers show up betterimage