Forum home Plants

ID for two small-flowered annuals, please

soulboysoulboy Posts: 429

Hi, I'm hoping that someone can ID these two plants that came from a packet of summer annual seeds.

Both flowers are similar in that they are both small, 5-petalled and flower on multi-branching, very thin stems, which grow from a larger central stem. One is white the other pink

However, as you can see from the pictures they are different flowers, though quite possibly from the same family.

The first 2 pic's show the pink flower. It has a flower structure similar to a bladder campion in that the calyx is a tubular structure. In this flower though the tube is indented along its length.

Both plants' leaves are opposite and lanceolate but the white flower's leaves are much smaller than the pink one. The white flower petals have some faint pink striations. The pink flower petals have much more pronounced venous striations that are a darker pink than the rest of the petal.

Both flowers emerge as a bell-shape and then flatten as the flower grows.

I'm sorry about the lack of focus in the images, my mobile camera doesn't photograph small flowers well very often.

• FritillaryFritillary WiltshirePosts: 477

The white flower looks as if it could be a Stichwort. A native hedgerow flower.image 

• I think 1 is Viscaria oculata (you were right about the familyimage), 2 is a cornflower and 3 is annual Gypsophila.

• soulboysoulboy Posts: 429

Thanks Buttercupdays, that's sorted that for me.