Forum home Plants

These Rudbeckias are taking over HELP

ightenighten Posts: 184

What started as a mixed bed of Dahlias and Ruds is now basically a forest of Rudbeckias. Towering over everything.

I cant seem to add more pics rest are here https://notesfromthebarn.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Home%20%26%20Garden

Can I split these up once they have stopped flowering a split them all over the other beds or do i have to wait until next spring

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,078

I think they'll be fine split and moved in the autumn as long as it's done before the soil's got  too cold.  It'll depend on when they stop flowering I suppose ... image

I think most hardy perennials respond well to being split in the autumn (with the exception of grasses). 

Last edited: 26 September 2017 11:33:15

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ightenighten Posts: 184

Great - I cant wait to dig the bullys up and split them about - is there anyway of stopping them from becoming so bullish or will I have to do this every year (or have a garden of nothing but Rudbeckias)

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,543

I always thought late summer and autumn flowering perennials were best split in spring but if you have more than you need or want yo can always do it now and not worry about losses but do pot some up for swaps or insurance, just in case.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • LoxleyLoxley NottinghamPosts: 4,961

I think they look great in a big mass. You could devote a bed to them, how about either side of a path or around a building? You might want to plant things of equal vigour if you want them not to take over a mixed bed (or resign yourself to keeping on top of them). I wonder if you could combine them with spring flowering perennials, so the rudbeckias take over after the spring flowering plants have been vut back?