Forum home The potting shed

Sweetpea Advice Please

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,520

Pinching out means taking the tips out, not the same as  pricking out, which is when you separate seedlings. Sow sweet peas in small pots where you can plant out the whole thing, or in root trainers if you have them.

Since you've already done them, they'd be better left outdoors to germinate slowly, as Dove has said.  image

Sweet peas don't need a lot of warmth to germinate - in fact, they germinate better if left in reasonable conditions to germinate slowly. About two to three weeks at this time of year. They'll only then need protection in rough, cold weather, or temps lower than minus five or so. If you germinate now in heat, you'll have to keep them in a warm environment all winter, which is very difficult unless you have a heated greenhouse. Makes it harder to stop them getting leggy too. Also, more expensive!

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• MrsFoxgloveMrsFoxglove SurreyPosts: 180

Oooh so much to take in, my head has only just stopped pounding from spring Bulb~Gateimage ha ha 

Right so I'll pop the sweetpeas out back in my "greenhouse" this evening then yes?

Do I leave the plastic covers on them or not? 

Thanks everyone image 

xXx

• MrsFoxgloveMrsFoxglove SurreyPosts: 180

Thanks Scrogginimage

• Depending where you live I wouldnt think you need covers on them at night, at the moment.Dont panic too much, you have sown 100 seeds! You may be selling them next year then! 

No - don't cover them. Just put the pots in your greenhouse, but make sure there's some ventilation. They don't need cossetted. image

You'll end up with the situation I mentioned. Too much warmth, too much growth, then they'll get too leggy. You'll have to then keep them in the warmth they'd be getting accustomed to. Vicious circle! 

Eagle Seeds are, indeed, an excellent source for seed. There are quite a few others too  image

Yes - there are lots scroggin. I can't remember where I got mine this year though   image  image

I think you asked me about the dark and white ones I had, and I can't remember what I told you! I meant to mention that the whites (Dorothy Eckford)  have lasted much better in a shadier spot (east facing border)  than the ones in sun.   I can usually get away with full sun for most of them because it's never too hot. All grown and planted at the same time, all treated the same, and all in pots. I think I'll keep them in that aspect if I grwo them again. They were beautifully scented.

The dark ones (Black Knight) have been excellent, both in pots and in the ground, so I can really recommend those. image

• Grew sweetpeas from seed last winter for first time...very successful...but unfortunately became covered in mildew during summer...very disappointing....any advice most welcome   Ta Ron