Forum home Wildlife gardening

Mystery Nest

I found this empty nest in a conifer today. It was made mainly of mud. It was oval in shape approx 8 inches x 4 inches. Does anybody know which bird might have made it? The green things in the middle look like ivy seedlings, possibly the result of ivy berries being part of the bird's diet

Last edited: 25 September 2017 19:22:53

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,918

Pigeons regularly use conifers to nest in, so that's a possibility, although I'm not sure they eat berries of any kind. 

Someone else will be able to confirm that or not though   image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391

Pigeons scoff the ivy berries around here Fairy but pretty sure their nests are (very) basic twiggy things and don't incorporate mud.  Thrushes line their nests with mud but it does seem a bit on the large side for that!

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • FritillaryFritillary WiltshirePosts: 497

Choice of three. Blackbird, Song Thrush or Mistle Thrush. Their nests are quite similar.image

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,918

I didn't think that  through Bob  image

Maybe they've been on a bricklaying course....image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• MobowMobow Posts: 92

Thanks everyone. I had wondered about it being a woodpigeon but Bob has ruled that out. I didn't think it was a blackbird nest as it seemed much more substantial than the ones I've seen. It is very regular almost as if it's been thrown on a wheel. So perhaps it is a song thrush or a mistle thrush nest as Fritillary suggests.