Forum home The potting shed

Plants we wish they'd stop selling.

• IamweedyIamweedy Cheshire East. Posts: 1,364

. You ain't seen nothing yet! They are/were real roses.

This crime was perpetrated by a florist and posted on Facebook. Actual roses. 

I despair. Have people neve heard the expression "Gilding the lily" . image

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,532

I'd also like to abolish palm trees anywhere north of Marseille.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 23,487

Even there they look odd.  Belong on a beach or in a rain forest depending on type.  Look dry and tatty and forlorn or just plain ugly anywhere else tho I did see some in rude health in a recent visit to a jungle garden here.  However, had to be careful of all those sharp, pointy leaves at eye height!

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • AsarumAsarum East AngliaPosts: 458

I agree about Salvia 'Hotlips'.

I'm also not keen on many varigated plants. 

I expect I shall get shot down for this - ivy.  People let it get out of control and it brings down fences and competes for light and air, and depletes the soil of nutrients.

East Anglia
  • MrsFoxgloveMrsFoxglove SurreyPosts: 180
    nutcutlet says:

Salvia 'Hot Lips'

This is so funny as I have one that both my mum and I detest and always refer to as "poxy hot lips" but I have to keep it as my nanna loved them and bought it for me!

So it's out the back thriving no matter how much I neglect it image it's just so garish with it's red and whiteness.

Not my cuppa at all but alas it has to stay.

Nanna might be gone but the poxy hot lips is still hanging on image

Last edited: 26 September 2017 16:21:19

• Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489

Those multicoloured roses are an abomination image

SW Scotland
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

those multicoloured roses might be actual roses but the colour is down to photoshop or similar programme. What you see there is impossible in real life, like blue strawberries. 

• Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653

Apologises GD.. missed your post at first glance image a touch of repetition 

• LoxleyLoxley Posts: 3,106

I'm not mad on hostas, but they do look nice when they're well grown (i.e. by other people). But this sickly looking thing can go in the bin.