Forum home The potting shed

Plants we wish they'd stop selling.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 23,487

GD - how far back are you going for non native?  The Romans brought all sorts with them - lavender, rosemary etc - and just how much good native plant material is there on Guernsey?   Not your clematis, I'll bet.   Rhododendrons?  Azaleas? Hostas? Roses other than dog?   

The trick is not to avoid introductions but to use them well so they encourage wildlife to feed, shelter and breed and don't invade or over power natural habitats and that's down to thoughtful, responsible gardening and gardeners.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 3,106

Anything with the words DWARF and MIXED makes me depressed, particularly the thought that plant breeders have put a lot of time and effort into creating these degenerate strains of what were often quite nice plants to begin with.

• LoxleyLoxley Posts: 3,106

Even Verbena 'Lollipop' makes me a bit twitchy. It's Verbena bonariensis... it's SUPPOSED to be tall!

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 2,295

May I add artificial lawn? I know it isn't strictly a plant but......

• Cacti with fake flowers and eyes glued on.

• Posy says:

May I add artificial lawn? I know it isn't strictly a plant but......

See original post

That really is the worst IMO. Total abomination.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

On a plant ID group 'elsewhere' I saw dip dyed Sansevieria 

• Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653

The painted neon heathers....

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 10,088

Fast growing 'privacy' evergreens which only reach 6ft, have all year round flowers, need no maintenance and can be grown in a pot. 

OK, they don't exist but I wish people would stop asking for them! image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • oooftoooft Posts: 188

I love pansies and violas. They are just the cheeriest wee things and they work so hard. I despise fancy grasses. And begonias. Does anyone actually like begonias? Not a fan of those smelly lillies either.