Forum home The potting shed

Plants we wish they'd stop selling.

Helxine, mind your own business, Soleirolio soleirolii.  So bad, I named it thrice.  But the names are good.

Spanish bluebells.

Dyed heather.  

• LoxleyLoxley Posts: 3,996

I agree on Spanish Bluebells. Should be banned IMO! There is probably a use for Baby's Tears (there you go, another name to add to your collection!) if you want that 'mossy look', but perhaps it should come with a health warning.

I was surprised to see Fox and Cubs (Hieracium) plants on sale online. It's pretty for a wildflower meadow, but it's horrendous to get rid of once it spreads into your borders.

And I've never seen it for sale, thank goodness, but Piet Oudolf and Henk Gerritsen list Himalayan Balsam in their 'Dream Plants for a Natural Garden' book. More like a Nightmare Plant.

Last edited: 25 September 2017 13:41:15

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,671

Fallopia baldschuanica aka Russian Vine. Should be on the list with Japanese knotweed.

Mind I would also add Roses to the list, but that is just me who detests the things.

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,025

Any plant that says 'buy me' regardless of whether it will do well or not in my garden!! Triumphs of optimism and avarice over reality!

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,253

I'm keeping the roses - as long as they repeat flower or at least produce masses of hips and have perfume and disease resistance.

Agree with all the rest mentioned and would add poinsettias and all other euphorbias, begonias in any shape or form, golden rod.    No doubt more will occur to me.

Last edited: 25 September 2017 14:30:10

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

Salvia 'Hot Lips'

Dip Dyed anything

'Miniature' conifers

any shapeless blob of colour.

• Parrot feather plant for ponds.
    It's supposed to be an oxygenator but it would better be described as a pond filler in.
    It was hard to tell there was any water in the pond! I removed every sign of the stuff and put it in the compost heap where it is more useful.
    The frogs miss it, but i don't.

• Leylandii. 

• Those cheerful but oh so fake looking sprayed heathers in fluorescent blue, green, orange etc.  Yes, they are a novelty but when they outgrow the spray they look just the same as any other heather but with fluorescent tips.

Non native plants - to a degree, although I am sure we all have plenty of them in the garden and they do brighten up some areas - perhaps if the labels stated that the plant was non native then we would think twice before purchasing.

• B3B3 Posts: 18,762

Anything labelled 'groundcover'image

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • IamweedyIamweedy Cheshire East. Posts: 1,364

I detest  dyed flowers .

Christmas Poinsettiers. Border marigolds along side small bedding begonias . Begonias in general  They just look to me like artificial flowers. 

Bedding plants in general such as over wintering pansies.

No conifers  We have done for our Leylandii and know its sporting two clematis Montanas with a Rambling Rrector down the other end of the fence and some

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'