Forum home Plants

Bulb Dilemma

I started widening a border yesterday and as I started digging and moving plants about I found many daffodil and tulip bulbs that had started to grow small roots already. 

I wasn't sure what to do with them in order not to keep them in good condition, so I put them in a large pot and covered them properly with compost.

The job is going to take me several days and I'm not sure whether it would be a good idea to return them to the bed or leave them in the pot.

I would be grateful for any help and advice.

•                                 "in order not to keep them in good condition"

I mean the exactopposite, of course!

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 6,328

You can probably do either at this point. They'll be fine in a pot, as long as they are deep enough. But if when you're finished you would prefer them back in the ground, then plant them out again as you would any potted plant from the GC - i.e. try not to disturb the roots too much.

“Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first” 
  • Hi Raisingirl

Thank you for your advice.  I would prefer to put them back in the bed, but, as you say, I need to take care with the roots.

My main reason for wanting to return them to their bed is because they're all very different in size and, of course, in kind, so it's good to know they'll be fine.  image

• Hi Artemis3, a few days ago the same thing happened to me.  In fact I even unearthed some bulbs I couldn't identify- apparently, Spanish bluebells. 

I threw those out, but I put the rest in a large pot and hope they will be something lovely to look at in the spring!  Mine were all shapes and sizes too.  I don't quite understand why their difference in size and variety makes you think it's not the right thing to do. image  I'm absolutely sure I've seen Monty placing a variety of bulbs in the same pot.  Or am I misremembering?

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 6,328
    Alex91 says:

I'm absolutely sure I've seen Monty placing a variety of bulbs in the same pot.  Or am I misremembering?

See original post

No, not misremembering, you're right Alex, you can mix them up - the technique even has a name - 'lasagne planting'. The depth you plant them should be varied though. As a rule of thumb, the bigger the bulb, the deeper it needs to be planted (that's true whether in a pot or in the ground).

Last edited: 25 September 2017 20:49:03

“Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first” 
  • Hi raisingirl

Thank you for reassuring me I wasn't making things up!

Now that you've actually explained the bit about placing larger bulbs deeper than smaller, I think I recall that he even placed the different varieties on different levels. 

I fear I wasn't that professional about it! image

I love the technique's name: 'lasagne planting'.image

• Yes, I remember that episode in which Monty did a one-pot planting, but I think he put them in very separate layers.  I imagine he did that so that those of the same kind would bloom together?  I'm afraid, I just put them all in higgledy-piggledy!

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,135

It's just a question of layering them according to size, although you can get away with them being planted a little less deep in pots than you can in the ground.

Be careful to use a big enough pot and plenty of bulbs, otherwise you can end up with a very sparse display of every type. Two or three types at most is best. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thank you, Fairy. 

As to the quantity, there are plenty there and the pot is large but as to the kind, probably more than 3.  I might, actually, return them to the bed, if I complete the job soon enough.