Forum home Plants

pruning Verbena Bonarienis

can anyone advise how to prune bonarienis please, last year I cut mine right back, but it died off, any advice pleaseimage

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,848

It's not 100% hardy and dying off may not have been your fault. I rely on self seeded plants to keep them going rather than keeping them alive over winter.

• Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653

They don't flower as prolifically in their second year, so I would do as nut has suggested. image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,136

I agree with Nut ... and to make sure there's every chance of self-seeding I don't cut mine back until the spring ... then I cut them back to about 9" tall . 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,601

You can always pot up a young plant and overwinter it in a cold frame if you want to be sure but they usually seed very freely.

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,022

The tits seem to go for the seeds so I leave them until the birds are finished with them.

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

I cut mine back just enough to keep it looking tidy. 

This year I've found that they have self seeded a lot. I remember asking on here how to get the seed to germinate as I was struggling!  Mother nature can do a much better job than a greenhouse and a packet of seeds sometimes! Anyhow, I have pulled the babies out and potted them on and they are doing very well. This way I can plant them in another bed in spring. 

• I tried for years to grow VB in my garden at home and despite everyone saying it self seeded, it never did for me so I know where you're coming from.  However, now I grow it at my allotment and it has flourished. Because it's quite windy I have to cut most of it but not all of the plants back a bit around this time of year otherwise they're just a mess. 

At the allotment, it self seeds freely into the gravel and I pot these up and give them to friends or transfer them to the home garden in springtime. Try to keep yours as dry as you can, I think the winter wet helps to kill mine.  Perhaps try leaving some of the seed heads on if you can, even support them so they don't break or fall over and see if you get some little seedlings. Good luck Susan 722.

• Thank you all for the great advice, I will take it all on board, and try it all. image

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,601

Good luck!