Some plant IDs needed
My brother has asked me to help identify the plants in his new garden, but I'm not great at trees and shrubs. I managed to name quite a few, but these ones I'm not sure of - can you help?
4. Wondered if this one was a kind of holly? It was pretty spiky. Are there spiky euonymus?
6. These were tiny leaves, no more than 0.5" long.
Last edited: 24 September 2017 18:40:12
'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
Just found a few more.
7. Only a dead flower head to see.
8. Tiny white flowers.
9. Please settle a disagreement. I think this is some kind of hypericum, he thinks it's fremontodendron. It's a bush about 5' high by 7' across.
1. Cornus sanguinea.....common Dogwood.
2. Viburnum opulus...Guelder rose.
4. Osmanthus heterophyllus variegatus.
I think no.7 might be loosestrife, looks like mine. No.9 is hypericum.
no 7 looks like Berberis darwinii , but maybe leaves too small ?
PS MEANT NO. 6
Pic no3 could be Aucuba japonica 'Serratifolia' ??
Photo 3 could be Arbutus Unedo, Strawberry Tree.
Photo 7 could be Achillea ptarmica "The Pearl" or something similar
Thanks everyone. I am rather embarrassed about the dogwood and the guelder rose - I should have got those! (Am consoling myself with having got another viburnum a few feet away...).
Thanks especially for the osmanthus ID, I really didn't know that one and it definitely is right. I'm also pretty sure that the berberis and achillea IDs are correct.
Less sure about loosestrife and aucuba / arbutus. I think he might just have to wait and see what no. 7 does next year. And we need to have another look at no. 3.
Any ideas re: no. 5?
No 7 is Lysimachia punctata.