Forum home Plants

What is the name of this plant?

Hi All,

Can someone please help me identify this houseplant attached. I bought it about 14 years ago and it has grown considerably, so much so that it may need to be trimmed.

Can someone also please tell me how to go about trimming this plant please as it is getting so large.image?

Thanks in advance for your help

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,964

Looks like a slimmed down version of Yucca elephantipes ; mainly (I think) from C.America .

Other than cut them off near the base , and allow for regrowth , it is difficult to trim plants like this . The central stem appears to have been cut many years ago , hence the typical multiple branching .

For a stronger growing plant , it really needs full sunshine for several hours a day , fresh air and plenty of water .

I had a stunning specimen which survived outdoors for many years ; seemed to be fully acclimatised (!) , until the one in ten Winter of 2009/10 , when it unfortunately succumbed to five consecutive nights of around -12 C !! image

PS   If you want to maintain some size of plant , cut the branches about 2' down from the top . They will regenerate even though it looks drastic .

• Thanks for the reply

• And with any branches you decide to cut off, plant up in a pot trim off a lot of the lower leaves place somewhere warm in good light and you'll be in with a chance of them rooting and growing on.

mcdood

Excellent advice  ! image