Forum home Problem solving

What is this weed and what is the best way to eradicate it?

Hello,

Thanks in advance for any advice

So me and my girlfriend bought a house where the garden was an overgrown mess. We have removed trees, masses of concrete (where the mud is) as well as brambles etc. What we can't seem to get rid of however are these little weeds which seem to grow like a blanket. What are they and how can we get rid of them?

Thanks again,

Josh

imageimage

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,107

It's one of the willowherbs. Easy enough to pull out, but they spread by seeding as well as being perennial. They look slightly different depending on seed or perennial. 

Each flower can produce 100,000 seeds so don't let them get to that stage image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,240

Dig over the whole area with a garden fork, taking out the weeds and roots ... and as you do it learn to recognise them as there'll be seeds in the soil which will sprout in oncoming years ... once you know what you're looking for you can pull each one out as you see it.  

However, if you're going to put it down to grass in the future regular mowing will kill them off each year as they germinate. 

Last edited: 24 September 2017 12:53:36

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh