Forum home Plants

identification and pruning

Can anyone tell me what this is please? It's a shrub which is currently too large at about 5-6 feet across and about 4.5 feet high.

It needs pruning back quite a lot, but I don't want to kill it. Any info sources or advice regarding when and how to prune, and anything that is relevant, much appreciated.

Thanks!image

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,687

The photograph is a little too close, but it does look like a Hebe shrub. The size you mention is quite a large size for this form.

If a Hebe shrub it is not advisable to prune too hard back into old wood. A size of 5 to 6 feet, I don't recommend pruning off more than a foot to start with. But if you need it to be shorter in height and width, then you could try, but not any branches with over 2cms in thickness.

Last edited: 24 September 2017 10:41:21

• Borderline says:

The photograph is a little too close, but it does look like a Hebe shrub. The size you mention is quite a large size for this form.

If a Hebe shrub it is not advisable to prune too hard back into old wood. A size of 5 to 6 feet, I don't recommend pruning off more than a foot to start with. But if you need it to be shorter in height and width, then you could try, but not any branches with over 2cms in thickness.

Last edited: 24 September 2017 10:41:21

See original post

Yes that's it! Just looked it up and found lots that look just like it. It looks the same all over, but I'll bear that in mind next time I take pictures. Thank you for the advice. One more question, from what I've read so far, most things seem to do best with pruning in autumn/winter. Same for this one?

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply.

• Don't worry, I found the answer to pruning. Thanks again.