Forum home Plants

ponds

i cant get lillys to grow in my pond any suggestions on hot to help them grow

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,601

Well, you need to choose the varieties suitable for your pond, plant them in the compost specially for pond plants and cover with pebbles, then place them just below surface of the water and lower them as they grow. If you have done all that and they still fail you may need to give more details.

• Yes, from the success we have had with 3 lilies planted in our pond this year I would agree with Posy. We planted them individually in pond baskets using an aqua mix and poor garden soil although some recommend just using aqua mix.  The crown of the lily should be showing above the growing medium that you use.  We weighted all this down with large gravel and small pebbles then gently lowered the baskets into the pond at about 6 - 12 inches below the pond water level. As the lilies grew over the following few weeks and they were obviously adjusting to the depth of the pond water we gradually lowered the baskets under more water until they were in their final position which is under approx 3 foot of water.

We planted three lilies this year and had just two flowers, but we are hoping for more flowers next year. However all three plants look very healthy and produced plenty of new leaves.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,981

They also need enough sun to thrive. Perhaps they're in too shady a spot.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,053

I've tried many times over the last 20 years to grow water lilies. Failed miserably each time. Now rely on water hawthorn. 

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • Good point Fairy, sun is important for most flowers, and water lilies are no exception. Water hawthorn is very attractive too hogweed, and not quite as expensive as some water lilies can be.