Forum home Plants

Clematis pruning?

KiliKili Posts: 1,019

imageHi Guys, can you advise please. I have two clematis plants growing on my wall . Ones a Nellie Moser and the other I don't know as it was a dig out from my daughters new house.

Nellie Moser finished flowering about 2-3 weeks ago. The unidentified clematis is still in flower ( see image) and I would like to know how and when do I prune.

Do I prune now,next month or leave it until spring?

Many Thanks for your help and advice.

Last edited: 23 September 2017 17:52:21

'The power of accurate observation .... is commonly called cynicism by those that have not got it.

George Bernard Shaw'

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,954

Neliie Moser is a Group 2 , so you normally just tidy it up after flowering in spring. If it's outgrowing it's space, you can take a bit more off.  It will then have a second flush of flowers later in the year if the conditions are favourable. 

That one in the pic is probably a Group 3 if it's flowering now, unless it also flowered earlier in the year, like the NM. If it's only been flowering from summer, you can leave it till late winter/early spring, and prune right back to about a foot from the ground, at a good pair of buds if possible, or a decent looking leaf joint. That's a good time to give it a feed and a mulch. 

It's hard to see from the photo, and there are so many varieties, it would be hard to tell which one it is. Might be something like The President. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• KiliKili Posts: 1,019

Hi Fairygirl, thanks for your help. The Nellie Moser flowered in July and August. Problem is there planted next to each other on the wall if one needs pruning right back and the other just tidying up Its going to be a bit of a game untangling them image.

Ah... well C'est La Vie as they say.

Thanks for your help will do as you say.

Admad

'The power of accurate observation .... is commonly called cynicism by those that have not got it.

George Bernard Shaw'

Just do your best then Admad. Sometimes it's the only way  image

The Group 2s can be treated like Group 3s, so if you're struggling and they both get a chop, it's not the end of the world. Nellie would just flower a bit later than normal, and you may get only one flush of flowers, but it might not be a bad thing to start again with it, as you would be able to train it in a better way for the future.

It's a common error for climbers, in general, to be planted a bit close together, which means they tend to mainly grow vertically, and you lose out on flowering potential as they're not going horizontally as well.

If you can, try and tie in new growth along the wall in each direction to give you a better display. image

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,384

Funny, my Nelly Moser flowers in May and June with the occasional flower in September.

Dordogne and Norfolk

I wondered about that too BL - but assumed that it was the second flush. image

Perhaps it isn't Moser though!