Forum home Plants

Can it be saved?

Hi all

I have found this half dead house plant at the end of the garden , we moved here in May and the plant looked dead but has slowly shown signs of life. It was in a broken 18" plastic pot, as you can see it has masses of roots which dont seem to be rotten.

I was hoping to save it and bring it into the conservatory, any help would be gratefully received

Thanks

Kevinimageimage.

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,997

Hello Kevin148

Your banana tree looks a bit 'the worse for wear' image

If you repot and keep just slightly moist and frost free for the winter , should be fine for next year .

Clean and cut off as much of the dead material as possible . To commence growth in a conservatory would be an added bonus for the plant , although they are happy outside in a sheltered location for the summer out of strong winds , which normally shreds the foliage .

• Thanks for the quick reply Paul. It's good to know it's a banana plant, maybe I could bring it in to conservatory for autumn and winter and bring it outside when it warms up next year.

What type of soil do they  like?

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,544

You need a loam based compost such as John Innes no 3.   Info on the RHS site about care - 

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=311

As Paul says, keep it just moist and frost free then put it outside once the last of the frosts is over.  If happy, it will get rather large.........

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Definitely inside for the winter ; re:- soil type , they're not too choosy as long as it's not waterlogged .

Remember if kept too warm for the winter , and it's moist enough for it to grow , this will lead to a thin and weak manner of growth (etiolation) . Best on the drier side , and just cool !

'rather large' may be an understatement !!!image

An excellent feature plant when well grown .

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,544

Saw some in a garden I visited yesterday. 

Last edited: 24 September 2017 00:07:55

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw