Forum home Plants

Clematis

I have just planted a new clematis namely Pink Champagne. Which is a group two variety.

Two questions 1. Should I reduce the quite considerable growth  If so by how much.

2. Does it matter if grass grows right up to the plant.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,954

Have you planted it in a lawn Helen? It's not ideal if you have.

Group 2s are usually just trimmed after flowering to keep them tidy, but if it's hard to tie properly onto it's support, you can prune it back a bit now to make it easier to tie in the new growth later.

You may get less flowers initially, but it won't do any harm, and will make establishment and initial care easier  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,551

Leave the existing growth.   Next spring, cut off any dead stems just above a newly opening pair of leaves and then give it a generous feed of slow release clematis food and a weekly drink of liquid tomato food till it flowers.  Tie in new growth and stems as they appear.   You should then dead head after the first flush of flowers so it doesn't waste energy on seed heads.  Feed again and it should produce a second flush in late summer.  You can leave these on as the seed heads are attractive.

Clematis are hungry and thirsty plants so I hope you prepared a good planting hole with added compost for structure.  They need to be planted a few inches deeper than they were in their pot as this encourages formation of new stems and also protects against clematis wilt which can affect some varieties.    Keep weeds and grass and other plants away from the base until it is well established.  Clematis can, in my experience, take a year or two to settle in and don't like competition.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • An interesting article by Brewster Rogerson on the International Clematis Society website ends as follows.........     " One of the best reasons for planting a clematis like C. 'Kakio' is that we can't be at all sure what it is going to do next. Gardeners planting to a rigid preconception need not apply."

Kakio is the correct name for this cultivar known as Pink Champagne.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,551

I can see why the OP fell for it though.  http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=611

Very pretty form altho I still think viticellas are the easiest to care for and the most forgiving.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Thank you all so much.  Yes. Did prepare hole properly just could not manage the full depth..