Forum home Plants

Jam jar rooting

So far I have successfully taken cuttings of twisted willow and white Buddelia shrub this month, and would like to try silver birch, verbena bon......, and azalea, has anyone tried these or would they be better started a pot of compost?

• LoxleyLoxley Posts: 4,452

Verbena works a treat in jam jars (bit late though - maybe wait till next spring?)

Not sure about the others. Would have guessed hardwood cuttings would be more appopriate this time of year but try googling it. 

• Thanks for the reply WillDB, I may just take the plunge (well the cuttings) and try them in a jar, they could all do with a bit of pruning anyway.

• That's a good tip about the cling film Mike Allen. I took some Salvia cuttings  soft new growth, not woody yesterday and will try that out later today.

I've taken loads of VB cuttings this past year to pass onto family and friends. It's still worth a go, even at this time of year. They get cut back here before the winter anyhow.

• Re the VB cuttings: If taken now, do they survive the winter? I always thought they were annuals. My Mum has some and they need cutting back. Could I cut them and bring them home, perhaps wrapped in wet tissue, a trip that takes at least 30 mins? When rooted, do how do you overwinter them?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,368

VB ... are we talking Verbena bonariensis?  It's a hardy perennial.  

I'd pot up rooted cuttings in a free-draining compost and overwinter them in a cold frame/cold greenhouse or similar.  

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thanks for all the advice and lots of ideas.  Now I have run out of jam jars!  I had a cupboard full until we downsized homes, now I have found just 6.  I have taken some cuttings, shrubs V.B. willow I had already done & buddelia and will spray them, keep them topped-up with water and enjoy watching which produce roots.  In the mean time you may find me near the recycling yard scavenging for more jam jars!

• Yes we are talking about Verbena bonariensis and yes I know it's a hardy perennial but it can be short lived in some areas so I always take cuttings.image

• Better to be safe than sorry lardygardener2.  I had never really taken any notice of this plant until this year, and now I am seeing it growing almost everywhere.  I do like it, but it doesn't appear to be attracting many bees - I find the echinacia flowers attract more bees.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,368

I take cuttings too, and overwinter them as I described which is what Marygold asked about ... but  as I don't cut the established plants back until the spring I find they overwinter pretty reliably ... a bonus of this is that I also find lots of self-sown babies every spring which get moved around the garden to where I want them.  

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thanks for the advice Dove. I'll give it a go.