Forum home Plants

Double flowered clematis

I have seen a special offer from T&M today for double flowered clematis, at a very cheap price of around £9.00 for 2. I did see these clematis (new) on the t.v. at Chelsea Flower show this year.  I can't remember the name of them, but has anyone had any luck with growing double flowered clematis?  I am not sure if the flower heads will be too heavy for the plant.

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,053

I have grown Josephine for many years and it was one of the first 'new' double flowered ones.. The first flowers are normally single and then the double ones come along. It grows fine. 

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • That's good to know hogweed.  I was intrigued but thought it sounded too good to be true.  I may invest in a couple, they are so cheap it seems a good opportunity to add a bit of interest to a wall or as a tree climber.

• Well that was another disappointment.  I have just tried ordering the double flowering clematis from T & M only to be told that they will not send out to Guernsey.  They sent me some plug fuchsias in the Spring and they were fine.  Oh dear - back to the drawing board again.

• I am not sure what humic fertilizer has to do with clematis Edgaras - did you send me the wrong link?

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,160

Spam GD - yet another parasite appearing at the weekend  image

reported

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• imageimage

Try these if you want  reliable, hardy, multi bloomed, double flowered clematis.

Viticellas flore pleno ( aka Mary Rose ) and purpurea plena elegans

• imagePurpurea plena elegans does not produce seed in UK but opens up in New Zealand and produces seed, here I have a new un-named seedling.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,160

Lovely Richard. 

I have to confess that I'm not overly keen on the double flowered ones, but I can make the odd exception here and there. Mary Rose was one I was interested in a while ago. I have Duchess of Edinburgh, which has been a bit disappointing, but I've moved it to what I feel will be a better location. It's going to take a while to get setlled though, I think.

GD - quite a lot of the double ones have quite small flowers - they're not like the big dinner plate types. There never seems to be a problem with the plant supporting them  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thanks for the suggestions Richard, but the one I was looking at was I think called Josephine, it was purple and white.  I have noted the smaller flowers Fairy - thanks for pointing that out.  I may purchase it from Amazon (if they will send to Gsy).

However I have now heard back from T & M (who were advertising this special offer)  to say they have a new policy now, of not sending plants to Guernsey any more.  I can understand their reasons.  Sometimes we get foggy days and therefore nothing arrives by air into the island. On the odd occasion we have 3 or 4 days of fog, therefore the plants would probably die in transit.

I will let you know if I manage to buy this clematis and thanks again for all the advice.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,576

Have you tried Raymond Evison?  Being a near neighbour he may ship to you?

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw