Forum home Problem solving

Weeping Cherry Blossom tree

Hi guys, I've got a weeping cherry blossom tree which doesn't weep very much. It's flowering very nicely in the spring, but is there any thing I need to do that will help it weep more. I've had the tree for about 10 years. 

Do I need to cut back or just leave it and be patient. Thanks very much. imageimage

• are you sure its a weeping form? it looks very much like a normal cherry tree to me.

Or has some growth occurred from below the graft point where the weeping tree variety was grafted onto the main stem? (look for a lump in the trunk) if so, that needs removing as its the root stock tree (a normal cherry) and it will swamp the weeping part.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,269

I suspect that the weeping element of your tree has been grafted onto an upright growing variety of cherry in order to make it into a weeping standard form, and that the upright growing shoots have come from below the graft and are taking over the tree.

What I would do is to wait until the leaves fall, you will then be able to see the graft point clearly.  You can then have a proper look and see if I'm correct and that the upright growth is coming from the trunk below the graft.  If this is the case I would get some weatherproof brightly coloured tape and mark all the branches that are coming from below the graft.  Then wait until May/June and prune those branches out.

Once you've done this you can check every year for little shoots starting from below the graft and you can rub them out with your thumb before they turn into branches. 

You shouldn't prune cherries except in late spring early summer as then as at other times of the year they can contract Silverleaf disease via the cut surfaces.   

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,269

Snap!  Treehugger image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• I understood about 50% of what you guys said, I'm very much a novice when it comes to gardening, but it looks like you're right. I've located the graft point and The main cherry tree has taken over and the weeping part is lagging a bit. I'll just leave it be for now. I'll do some further reading about grafted trees and follow your advice. 

I very much appreciate the time you took to reply. Thanks very much and have a nice day.

Francis.