Forum home Problem solving

Sumach Tree - some sort of disease?

imageimage

Can anyone help me identify whatever this is that has appeared on the trunk of my Sumach tree? It is appearing in several places and I haven't a clue what to do about it. Any help would be appreciated.

• Dave HumbyDave Humby HampshirePosts: 1,142

Having cut a few down recently it is fair to say they are very 'resinous'. It looks like some of that is leaching out. I don't think it is anything to be too concerned about but I am no expert so someone may have other views.

Last edited: 22 September 2017 10:12:51

• Hello janetweed. off topic. but please could you tell me if you take extra precautions with your sumac as i wish to add it to my garden but worried as i have heard it is invasive. also whta position do you have yours in e.g north south east west. thanks

• Thank you Dave Humby. I was worried it was some terrible disease that would infect the whole garden. Mr mahonia when I first planted my Sumach tree over 10 years ago, I was unaware that it could be invasive and in fact it hasn't been until a couple of years ago and then not terribly so. I have had a few shoots through the lawn which have not survived the lawn being cut. I also have had a few come up in the flower bed but but simply dug them up. The land behind my garden is owned by British rail and this year I have noticed that it has spread behind my fence. You can see in the first photo above. Hope that helps you make you decision.

• Mr Mahonia it is planted in a southern part of my garden is partly shaded by a huge tree next door to the east and the fence behind.

• Dave HumbyDave Humby HampshirePosts: 1,142

Mr M and Jane, just a word of warning, as I have personal experience of this plant. When they are in-situ and growing unchecked they are relatively harmless except for occasional sprouting of new growth away from the main plant(s).

However, and it is a big however, when / if you decide to cull them this is when the 'fun' starts. The underground 'root' system spreads for many meters surrounding the tree(s) and killing the main plant just spurs new growth to start at multiple places and I mean multiple. In the lawn, through the pavement, in your flower beds etc etc. It is a mini-explosion of growth which is very difficult to treat. I have been pulling out the root network where I can and spraying the young foliage with SBK where I can't effectively access the roots and also drilling into the root network and pouring in SBK stump killer. All that, along with the lawn cutting to address the growth there. I've been on this 'project' for a year now (it's pretty much a weekly activity in the growing season) and, from what I've read, I can expect at least one more year of this before I start to see significant reduction in regrowth.

So, if it was me, I would absolutely only plant one on a container!

• Oh no what a nightmare. Beautiful as it is at the moment, I am wishing I had never planted it.