Forum home Plants

Other gardens near Biddulph Grange

micearguersmicearguers CambridgePosts: 605

I'm planning to visit Biddulph Grange (close to Peak District, Stoke-on-Trent side), driving up from Cambridge. I'll stay in the area for one or two nights. Do people have recommendations for other gardens in the vicinity? I realise this forum (plants) is not entirely appropriate, but neither are the others it seems. In fact, I would not mind a bit more of chat about gardens.

• There aren't many public gardens in this part of the world - few and far between covers it well!

If you look in the NGS Yellow Book, available online  now, you may find some interesting private gardens open, though autumn is more advanced up here - it started in mid August where I am in East Cheshire! There is some stunning countryside howeverimage

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,988

Trentham Gardens is not that far away.

• Dorothy Clive garden not too far away and well worth a visit

• Depends when you're coming but Consall Hall gardens are nice. They're only open one day per month during the summer season tho, last day being October 1st. Nearby is Consall forge where there's a nice pub next to the Churnet valley railway which is also worth a visit. 

• micearguersmicearguers CambridgePosts: 605

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, much appreciated!

• IamweedyIamweedy Cheshire East. Posts: 1,364

Dorothy Clive garden on the Cheshire/Staffs/Shropshire border.

http://dorothyclivegarden.co.uk/

Bridgemere Garden World. (Now Wyevale GC)  has some display gardens.and they are very near Dorothy Clive .

Biddulph Grange is not far from the amazing Little Morton Hall which has small gardens but the Tudor house is really worth a look if you are in the area.

If you are in the area do avoid Congleton "garden center" I have  never in my life seen such a dreadful display of manky scruffy mouldy plants still on sale.

Astbury Meadow GC is a good Strikes/Kondike GC and looks after it's plants. It. has a decent restaurant and a "search and rescue" table I cannot resist.

That is on the A34 just a bit up north from Little Morton Hall.  (About 4 miles from me.)

Last edited: 24 September 2017 00:04:58

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'

• @lamweedy- totally agree with you about Congleton GC. Went there once and never bothered again. Not sure if you're aware but If you're after decent quality plants then I always go to Smithyfarm nurseries, also on the A34 close to Astbury GC only don't mention Astbury to them (They think it's a swear word:)). No fancy stuff, just plants, gardening supplies and it's a lot cheaper. 

• IamweedyIamweedy Cheshire East. Posts: 1,364

RachelM  Thank you I will  look them up.  

Looks good. Please stop tempting me I cannot resist a new GC to wander around . image

Last edited: 25 September 2017 08:22:09

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'

• micearguersmicearguers CambridgePosts: 605

Well, I visited the gardens in order of Biddulph Grange, Trentham, Dorothy Clive. I was very glad to finally see Biddulph Grange with its wonderful baroque design and feel of secret gardens connected by fairytale  passageways. The Chinese garden is over-the-top but in a very satisfactory way, with beautiful old trees, water features, moss- and fern-covered dry stone walls and amazing sight lines. Trentham is impressive and I had a good walk, but I can't escape the feeling that we should be supporting and restoring eco-systems in a less estate-centric way. The Trentham garden centre was very good. The Dorothy Clive garden was amazing, I am very grateful for the tip. In feeling it reminded me a bit of the Beth Chatto gardens (although quite different as a garden). The quarry woodland is fantastic. I wish I had something of a hillside in my garden. I'm thinking I could excavate half of it and pile it up on the other half.