Forum home Problem solving

advice

Hello, can anyone tell me if I can split my sedum ( rose carpet) please ? The ground spread has doubled and I would like to transfer some to another area of the garden. :)

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 6,336

I don't know that one in particular, but with most sedums every little sprig has a little root system of it's own, so if you break small pieces off and push them into a new position they take with minimal fuss. You need to make sure each piece has enough purchase to get established, so either a small stone over the buried stalk or wedged into a little crevice. Have a rootle around the edges and see if you can see little sections to pull away - try one or two as an experiment now - maybe pushed into a pot of very gritty soil so you can watch it closely. If those 'take' then you can move whole clumps of the 'mother plant' in the spring.

“Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first” 
  • many thanks raisingirl image

• Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,150

I've successfully done bits of creepy sedum as raisingirl describes.  If you gently lift the edges, you may find some bits which have already rooted into the surrounding soil.  I pull of a clump and gently press into a pot, works every time image

• Thank you Kitty ! image

• madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,448

Very easy! Just tug bits off and stick it where you want it,roots or no roots it should be OK!

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings