Forum home Problem solving

Ponds & Metal Grids

NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,808

I want to add a child safe grid to my pond which will sit just under the surface

A blacksmith has asked if I want stainless steel or galvanised steel 

? Are both safe for the frogs etc

Help please 

Everyone is just trying to be Happy.....So lets help Them.

• Stainless steel will be fine for everything, but so should galvanised although galvanise relies on the zinc coating oxidising to an inert barrier. Whether that's an issue I don't know. If the prices are the same go with stainless, but if there is a big difference in price and galvanised is a lot cheaper, I would guess if there are affects on wildkife they will Only be very temporary.

• NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,808

Thanks 

The black smith has suggested that if I go for the galvanised to leave it in the garden for about a month to "weather" and then place it in the water

Its £255 for galvanised and £380 for stainless

• KT53KT53 GloucestershirePosts: 7,515

I would go with galvanised for two reasons.  (1) It is considerably cheaper (2) it has a matt finish and is therefore less "in your face" than stainless.

KT53

Thanks for that but its the possible danger to the frogs etc that is the over riding aspect

• We have a rectangular pool right outside the back door (built as a reservoir in case of fire as we have no mains water) and just used builders 5mm reinforcing mesh!

Buttercupdays

Has that affected the wild life in the pond please ?

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,601

The main difficulty I can see is that frogs will not be able to get into or out of your pond.

There will be 4 - 6 inch gaps between the bars so frogs and newts can enter and exit

Its only the interaction of galvanised steel to water and wild life 

I have covered all other challenges

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,543

The main concern will be providing a means of getting in and out.  Getting thru the gaps is no problem but actually climbing in and out of the water may be difficult so make sure they have a stone or a log up which they can escape.

Then the choice is between budget and aesthetics and you preference.  I don't see either of the two options harming the amphibians.  I've seen ponds made from old galvanised containers and happy with frogs and tadpoles. 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,889

Obelixx is right - there won't be an issue with either metal. 

Frogs etc will get through the gaps. As she says - just provide something suitable for them to climb up onto, if the pond doesn't have ledges, rocks, logs or similar at the edges. image 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....