Forum home Problem solving

Pressure sprayer for tree wash

micearguersmicearguers CambridgePosts: 605

I want to apply a tree wash to my fruit trees (well, mostly our large Bramley tree) and grape. I assume a pressure sprayer is what I need to do the job. Do people have recommendations for brands to use or avoid? Any other insights will be appreciated too.

• http://www.diy.com/departments/verve-pressure-sprayer-5l/152700_BQ.prd

I've used these for years and have had no problems.

I bought one that I thought was similar on Am**on and it was very badly designed. It was almost impossible to remove the top because of the placement of all the handles and pressure release thingies!

• micearguersmicearguers CambridgePosts: 605

Thank you plant pauper! I saw one on Amazon, but after careful reading of the reviews it seemed e.g. a Hoselock sprayer would be a better bet - or the one you suggest.

• I have a Hozelock too but I seldom use it...not for any particular reason.

It has the advantage of replaceable parts and also has more chemical resistance if for example you're using Kurtail or Pearl for Mare's tail. 

You gets what you pays for and the Hozelock is a little more expensive but probably worth it. 

I spent yesterday afternoon happily spraying paths in pleasant sunshine and now I'm sitting watching it being hosed off by torrential rain. Coulda used a water pistol for all the good I did! image

• NEEDS A SHIFTING SPANNER TO OPENimageBought two of these and opened the first one to use today. Pressure drops like a stone and I have to pump whilst spraying. I have a huge area to spray so that's just not going to be feasible; my back is breaking after only ten litres! Speaking of which, when I tried to take the cap off to refill it would not shift! Awkwardly placed and hard to get hold of not to mention impossible to turn. I ended up hitting the little plastic lugs a smart tap with a hairbrush (a rolling pin just didn't do it......no really!!!!). I can't help thinking that someday the hairbrush will win and the little green lug will go flying down the garden. Later today I'm going to open my second sprayer, more in hope than expectation, and see if it hisses/leaks/spits/sticks less than the first. I'm not holding my breath.

5L Pump Action Pressure Sprayer - use with water, fertilizer or pesticidesby Kingfisher

This is my 1* review cut and pasted from Am**on on the Kingfisher sprayer. image

• Dave HumbyDave Humby HampshirePosts: 1,142

If you're on a budget try this one

https://www.screwfix.com/p/green-pressure-sprayer-7ltr/51100

I bought one recently and found it easy to use and well constructed.