Forum home Tools and techniques

gardening apps

Does anybody use apps on their phone/tablet to help them with their gardening? 

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 29,672

Hi gingerhen. Personally I don't even know if there are any apps but I wouldn't use them ever - I wouldn't be able to see the point.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

err, help in what way? weeding? cutting the hedge?

• KT53KT53 Posts: 4,484

I'm not aware of any, but I could see the potential value of one which gave a calendar for sowing/planting and harvesting veg, flowering season for plants etc, as long as it had the ability to be customised for the area you live in.  It would save having to dig through loads of books to glean the same information.

• Neil75Neil75 Posts: 12

I'm reading this on my phone,  and thus can't be verbose.. However,  I can't recommend Growveg enough. They have an ipad app,  and excellent Web interfaces.   It's an amazing planner, that has made a super-disorganized gardener -  me -  into someone that appears remotely competent.  I find it takes all the stress out of veg growing.  It's about £15 a year,  but in my eyes is well worth the cost. Have a look on their website. 

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,992

ALso there is a couple of apps for plant id - you take a pic and then they check it against their database for a match.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 2,915

I'd like an app to provide 'what to do now' info like there is on this site.

It would have to send me the notifications though as I would never look at it otherwiseimage Maybe GW can invent one if they haven't already?image

• Neil75Neil75 Posts: 12

Hi Victoria.  Growveg sends a fortnightly email to tell you what,  based on your 'plan'  what needs doing :-)  and they send you. Links to some very timely how to videos.  I'm honestly in no way affiliated with them.

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 2,915

Looks good Neil, ideal if you grow a lot of vegimage

I think it would take a long time to input a full garden of perennials and shrubs though?

• RobmarstonRobmarston south walesPosts: 275

Nothing beats this forum from my experience. 

• RobmarstonRobmarston south walesPosts: 275

Although I used to like the grow your own app which had a great forum, but that no longer seems to work. Anyone know what happened?