Forum home Wildlife gardening

No weedkiller

With developers grabbing every bit of land they can here in the south east our wildlife are having a pretty rough time of surviving and one of the places that they can survive in peace are our allotment sites.

or so you would think.

on the site i am on i have seen, in recent years, slowworms field mice  the return of the thrush  and other small wildlife all going about their life.

I watch our bird life and enjoy the antics of our bigger birds such as the crows and Pigeons ,plus the antics of the squirrels so what does our council do.

finding out that there was a bit of knotweed on  the site they sent in the heavy mob who duly arrived and proceded  to spray everything within six foot of this solitary piece of knotweed with a very strong weedkiller.

the job took two men an hour i could have taken my spade and dug it out in five minutes without any danger to our wildlife or floral life.

I SAY ALLOTMENT SITES SHOULD BE WEEDKILLER FREE ZONES., starting with mine. 

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,053

I think they would have been following the guidelines on what to do with knotweed. Why didn't you dig it out before they arrived?

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • Simple

it was at the bottom of someone elses plot and i didnt know it was there until they arrived 

• Think you missed the point that willbara was making

What is more important ,following guidelines or exterminating our wild life.

I know which I would go for.

Allotment sites are ideal places where the human race and the animal world can live side by side

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,306

you really think you can remove japanese knotweed with a spade and 5 minutes work?

Devon.
  • I would say one root of knotweed can be removed in five minutes with a spade.

But if you think it is preferable to spray weedkiller over our wild life and kill it you are fully entitled to hold that view.

• From what I can gather having read up on Jap knotweed, it is extremely difficult or neigh on impossible to eradicate this invasive weed. Apparently it can destroy walls, find it's way into buildings - the proverbial triffid.

I would certainly try to eradicate it with a spade to start with, but I am pretty sure the weed would return with vengeance, so my next hit would be with a spot of weed killer, containing it to the infected area only. I don't use weed killers in my garden, and keep chemicals to an absolute minimum preferring natural approaches wherever possible, and dread finding knotweed here, so far so good.

I merely question how " one root" comes to be there.

My fear is one root may be shooting , but many more lurk underground. 

They don't just spontaneously appear.

If JK was so easy to eradicate, I can't see why you're legally obliged to notify its presence when selling a house.

Of course, I might be totally wrong.

Last edited: 21 September 2017 09:10:06

Devon.
  • LoxleyLoxley NottinghamPosts: 4,975

The problem with attempting to dig it up is it will potentially regenerate from the roots, popping up in the surrounding area. Then when you try and dig up those plants, the same thing can happen. Eventually it will have to be sprayed and you will be looking at spraying a much wider area. It really is best jumped on fast with glyphosate.

Conservation trusts use glyphosate to control JKW and other noxious alien weeds because they know how damaging they are to biodiversity; and while i'm sure they'd rather not spray, they have the experience and expertise to recognise it's the most effective way of dealing with an outbreak. Glyphosate is also used in tree planting and habitat creation.

bridgey says

"But if you think it is preferable to spray weedkiller over our wild life and kill it you are fully entitled to hold that view."

When did I suggest the use of weedkiller? Feel free to cut and paste.

Devon.
  • The point i was trying to make is:

This was one piece of knotweed no more than 18 inches high and could easily have been dug out and disposed of .

Willdb in his well put piece says there is a need to spray and kill off the knotweed if it has taken over an area, this is so and i would go along with that but what he omitted to say was that even with spraying knotweed will keep coming back  for a while and will take more than one spraying.

Knotweed can be killed off by CONTINUALLY attacking it without sprays as i have found out on my plot I  had 10rod of allotment,many years ago and only took over the 10 rod plot next to me because it had a lot of knotweed on it , i eradicated it completely in five years by first digging it out and then attacking it as soon it showed any sign of growth.

There has never been any appearance  of knotweed in the last twenty five years since i did it.

I think we have been brain washed some what on the issue of controlling this menace, as i have said i fully understand there are times when spraying is the only option but surely common sense should have ruled in this case.

If you take the view that what the experts say is always right, may i point out that it was an expert that brought it into this country in the first place and told people it would be an asset to the garden