Forum home Plants

Urgent Advice, Dracaena Marginata

Hello. I'm new to all this house plant business. I've never owned any house plants before or done any gardening. I'm interested in having plants in my home and bought a dragon tree about 10 months ago. It sits near my kitchen window, not near any radiators or drafts. I spray it's leaves every few days and may have over-watered, although I'm not sure. I give it baby bio in water every so often.

The problem is, One of its stems went completely soft with nothing inside after losing its leaves so I pulled it out.

The other two stems are slightly greying and I noticed for a while that the top soil looked mouldy. Today I took the plant out and got all the soil off, I can put my nails in to the stem at the bottom.  the roots look fine to me. I desperately need advice as to what to do next please. Can it be saved ? What type of soil do I use and what type of pot ? Any little bits of advice as I really am stuck. I'd love to have more plants but feeling disheartened now if I can't get one right. Can't find how to upload any photos.

Grateful for all help. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,282

Hi Peachcake image

To upload photos click on the camera icon and follow the instructions ... if the photos don't upload within a minute or two try reducing the size ... that usually works image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thank you, I'll try that now. Just tried and it's not working. Will have another try.

Last edited: 18 September 2017 14:26:15

Have you tried reducing the size of the photos?  

There should be a green bar appear along the bottom of the text box to show its uploading

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Tried numerous times now. I am in my mobile so maybe that's why it's not working for me. Will have to wait until I can use the laptop. What a Shame.

Last edited: 18 September 2017 16:58:54

In the meantime, stop the watering and the misting ... they can cope with a bit of drought but don't like wet feet.

Only water when the compost an inch below the surface is dry ... to test this stick your finger into the compost up to the first  joint . only when it's dry at the fingertip should you water ... give it a good soak then let it drain freely and dry out again.  

Mist twice a week when your central heating is on, but for the rest of the year it probably won't need it. 

Fingers crossed that'll help image

Last edited: 18 September 2017 17:02:21