Forum home Plants

Pulmonaria problems

Pulmonaria seems to do really well in my garden but I realised at the weekend that a big clump had turned brown and gone all mushy. Has anyone else had this or know what might have caused it. 

Thank you. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,129

Looks to me as if it's died down for autumn ... it should reappear in the spring image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• TopbirdTopbird Mid SuffolkPosts: 7,573

I agree with Dove's answer. It's a little early - but if it's been wet and unseasonably cold where you are (as it has in so many parts of the UK over the last few weeks) the plants will think Autumn is well underway.

On another note - do you 'dead-leaf' your pulmonarias?

I always give mine a tidy up after they finish flowering and then I give them another good haircut in mid summer. This gets rid of a lot of the old leaves which have usually gone rather tatty and the plants respond with fresh leaf growth which usually lasts well into autumn.

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • okay thank you.  Yes generally i do tidy them up over the year and take off the tatty leaves.  it must have just been in a bit of a wet / shady part (however i'm on light sandy soil, so wet isn't usually a problem and in Surrey).  The other pulmonaria's i have around the garden look fine still.

Will hope it is just that it thinks autumn has come early, and fingers crossed for Spring and its return.

Thank you.