Forum home Problem solving

Using Roundup; Remove dead roots?

Hi,

My garden is an overgrown mess.

I've started clearing it and building some raised borders/beds. Now I'm looking to fill them with soil from around the garden.

Some of the places I'm looking to take the soil from are pretty wild and have nettles and unfortunately some bindweed in them.

I've sprayed it all with round up and it's died off nicely.

My question is, do I need to sieve the soil before moving it to remove the roots or will they break down and potentially enrich the soil in the new beds?

Thanks,

MRA.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,555

Sieve!  The teeniest bit of live bindweed root will sprout and grow and invade.   The alternative is to leave the sprayed patches alone a few weeks, or better still until spring when new growth starts, and then spray new growth as soon as it's big enough to absorb enough glyphosate to kill the surviving roots.  In my experience, bindweed doesn't give in after just one spray.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Is it safe to use glyphosate where you grow food crops. If not, is there a safer spray to kill off a lot of green weeds in neglected areas?

• LoxleyLoxley NottinghamPosts: 4,973

Cookie, it's safe to use in accordance with the label. You won't be spraying anything you are going to eat.

Alarmingly a lot of farmers spray wheat with glyphosate prior to harvest, to dry it out. You won't be doing that though!