Forum home Fruit & veg

Suggestions for what ground cover to grow along with creeping thyme

Hi all

I've recently been working on creating a path. Pics are much easier than trying to explain it!

From the top:

From the bottom:

I want to plant a variety of ground cover type plants in the soil strip.  My check list in no particular order is:

-  I'd like all the plants to be useful.  Edible preferably, but if not I'd like them to at least have some benefit to the garden other than looking pretty!  

-  I think having some of the plants hang over the wall would look nice, but not too far - I want to be able to walk on the path!

-  Nothing that gets too tall.  

-  Something that can stand a bit of mowing and will "blend" with the lawn.  One of the reasons I did not want the lawn all the way up to the "wall"was because the bank slopes which would make mowing difficult.  And I didn't want to damage the wood with the mower.  However, when mowing the lawn I don't want to have to be too careful where the lawn meets the plants.  Haven't got time for that!  

I've got some creeping thyme to put in but other than that I'm short on ideas.  

Any thoughts most appreciated.

Ta 

• LoxleyLoxley Posts: 4,452

Hi Max. Just a note of caution - if you aren't prepared to edge the lawn regularly, the grass will creep up to the timber edging in any case - you'll end up with grass with thyme growing in it. So I don't think this is going to be as labour-saving as you think, although it will add interest. Personally, I'd plant a very low box edging and keep it nice and crisply trimmed. Lavender would be lovely too.

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 5,545

chives, a mix of types of sorrel and violas (edible flowers)

“Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first” 
  • SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 1,444

Wild strawberries, their runners will hang down and you can just shear them off in the autumn, and the mowing will stop them spreading into the lawn.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,171

Hope you've got waterproofs Max. Anything hanging over that edge is going to make that path even narrower than it is. Then - on a wet day.....image

I'd leave it as grass. Easier than you think to mow that edge. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,579

Agree with FG - that path is too narrow to allow very much to hang over the edge.    There are so many forms of thyme that you could have a mix with variegated leaves in there and different flavours such as lemon and orange.   You could also try prostrate rosemary in the sunnier, drier end and wintergreen in the shadier end.   If you go for alpine strawberries make sure you taste one before you buy as some are highly perfumed and delicious tasting whilst others have almost no flavour.  

Apple mints is endemic in my garden and in the local lanes.  It grows low here and doesn't mind being mowed and smells good when cut but it will creep into your grass.

I agree also with Will.  You will still have to edge the lawn occasionally to make it look good so be prepared for blurred edges and invasions..

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw