Forum home Garden design

Re-training

Hi Guys and Girls. 

I hope everyone's well. 

I have a question i am hoping you can help with. 

I am just starting a college course (level 3 extended diploma in horticulture, city and guilds) I am a little bit windy that I won't be able to find work on completing the course. The course covers a number of topics. I am liking to find work when finishing as a heritage Gardner or work in land scape gardening. 

as I say I am a bit worried about finding work. Is this a big gamble or will I be ok and be able to find work? 

I am based just outside of Norwich in Norfolk. 

thanks in adavance. 

James 

Last edited: 17 September 2017 21:14:13

• KT53KT53 Posts: 8,469

I would have thought the best people to ask about this would be those in charge of your training.  If you've had practical experience in heritage or similar sites, contact them as well.  You still have 12 months to go of your course so although planning for the future is always a good idea, it's a bit early to be panicking.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,253

Ask the people in charge of the course, how many people who have completed it are employed in the subject ( as opposed to flipping burgers) a year later.  Nothing is ever guaranteed, you may need to travel to obtain employment.

• KT53 has thrown you a few ideas wellsie and I would also try the local parks and gardens and perhaps a few grander/stately homes in your area.  Good luck.

• Thanks for the help guys image

• Might I suggest volunteering at a National Trust or similar garden to give you experience and get you known.

Finding work will be a competitive business, if you are known and liked by such organisations as the National Trust you will be a little bit ahead of the competition if you should apply for a job with them.