Forum home Problem solving

Magnolia help please

My Magnolia Stellata is looking a bit worse-for-wear. The leaves turned very brown on the edges a few months ago. It also flowered a little a month ago. It was planted this spring and it only gets a couple of hours of morning sun.

I have a Magnolia Susan in the next bed and that looks even worse although it gets more sun than the Stellata. Currently the Susan is a bit hidden behind sweet peas and dahlias.

The soil is clay and both beds are quite close to a newly laid path. 

I gave them an acidic feed a few weeks ago as I read that they might appreciate that. Hasn't made any difference.

Any advice would be appreciated please :-)

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,864

If they are newly planted have you been giving them a bucket of water each, every week?

Did you tease out the roots from the root ball when you planted it, to help the roots to get out and get established.?

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • fidgetbones says:

If they are newly planted have you been giving them a bucket of water each, every week?

Did you tease out the roots from the root ball when you planted it, to help the roots to get out and get established.?

See original post

Thanks. I did tease the roots out but I definitely haven't given them a bucket of water every week. They were watered regularly in the summer but not excessively. Would it be too late to start?
    Thanks
    Kelly