Forum home Problem solving

my ill rebutia muscular

hello, i am aware that this forum is mainly for outside gardening, but i wondered if anyone can help me on my indoor plant problem...

is my rebutia muscular meant to look like this??! if not, how do i fix it:( image

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,475

That looks nomal to me. I would keep it on the dry side over winter, and then feed and water once a week from March.   I would use a paintbrush to tidy it up a bit. gentle brushing removes rubbish trapped between the spines.

• thank you so much! but what do you mean by the dry side? and ah yes i did wonder about the dirt.. i have actually just repotted it literally about an hour ago, i was hoping the dirt would find its own way out but yes i will brush it off, thank you 

• The name is spelled muscula, meaning little mouse.

• oops! awwww that's sweet, i didn't know that... mine doesn't seem to represent little though... all the pictures i've seen of it are round, not tall :/

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,475

It looks like it has doubled in size this summer. This years growth looks different to the old part. By dry, I mean don't water it  at all unless you have it on a sunny windowsill. If getting a lot of sun, I would give it a dribble once a month. I will be moving the cacti from prickly corner outside to an unheated conservatory. They get cold, which they tolerate  unless they are wet.

What have you repotted it with ? Proper cacti compost is very gritty and free draining.

• ahh okay so the bit underneath isn't dead? because it's really dry and has no bristles. i did dig my nail in a little and it was wet and green underneath though, i just don't be understand why all the images of this plant on google are small and round and cute...

and yes i did repot it with special cactus soil although i think it was a little dry as the bag wasn't left open for a while, so i gave them all a tiny bit of water (even though it said not to) image

• If your plant has not had enough light then it will grow taller (etiolation), so it sounds like it would benefit from a brighter spot. 

You are advised not to water a plant after repotting it in case the roots are damaged, you should really allow a few days for any damage to heal. But if there is no damage then the water will not do any harm. I never water my cacti at all from about now until spring, the dormancy encourages them to flower around May/June. In any case, only water them when the compost is completely dry, or nearly so. If in doubt, do nowt.

• the spot can't get any brighter, it's on a window sill that faces south!

the soil was bone try image i hope that it won't do any damage... keep you posted image i've taken on board your advice about watering, and i'll try that because they haven't flowered in ages now...