Blackbirds.

Has anyone seen a blackbirds yet in their garden I miss them can't wait for them too come back? :-P

• LynLyn Posts: 8,424

We have blackbirds constantly in the garden, they breed here, much to my cats annoyance as they swoop right down on him, almost pecking him and making a hell of a racket.  He can't run indoors quick enough. 

I didn't know they went anywhere ? Do they migrate?  I think may be some do some don't.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener LeicsPosts: 6,504

I wonder if morrikath is from the US, where they have a different species which are called blackbirds?  The European variety we have in UK gardens do migrate to some extent, but many of them just go a bit further south within the islands, while some from scandinavia etc come the the UK for the winter:

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/bird-and-wildlife-guides/ask-an-expert/previous/blackbirds_migrate.aspx

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 3,812

We haven't had blackbirds for a while - I can't understand why as I am sure that we normally have them year round.  We used have them nesting in our garden but none this year. I must ask locally too.

• Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 11,358

Plenty blackbirds. They have already stripped the berries off three pyracanthas.

SW Scotland
  • MobowMobow Posts: 89

We have blackbirds all year here though they are not so evident in the summer. They've just started to eat the cotoneaster berries so it looks as though autumn is well on its way.

• Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,516

Possibly you mean because of the late summer moult? They tend to disappear for quite a few weeks in August. 

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 750

For several weeks we've not seen much but sparrows, now we're starting to see robins, blackbirds and goldfinches.

• Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 884
  • Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 3,812

I hope that is the cause of our lack of blackbirds at present Papi Jo, thanks for the link.

• MobowMobow Posts: 89

Thanks Mark56 and Papi Jo for info about moulting. This seems to be the case as we have seen some "scruffy" blackbirds in the last couple of weeks