Forum home Plants

May tree

how to prune

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,918

I'm slightly confused. No change there....image

Are you wanting to know how to prune a tree, Sandy, or were you intending showing others?

And do you mean a Hawthorn, when you say May tree ?

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Yes its a small Hawthorn, I was told it was a May tree when we moved here last year. I'm not sure when and how to prune it

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,094

It depends how you want it to grow and how much space you're prepared to let it have ... it might not need pruning at all image

If you post a photo or two of the tree and its place in your garden we'll get a better idea of your options.

To upload a photo click on the camera icon and follow the instructions ... it the photo doesn't upload reducing its size usually works image

Last edited: 18 September 2017 11:05:49

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

I think it just needs a tidy up, I would like to keep it fairly small.

Last edited: 18 September 2017 13:32:40

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,094

Don't worry about the photo being upside down ... there's a glitch on the forum and that sometimes happens to all of us.

I don't think I'd do much to the tree other than take out any branches that are crossing and rubbing on each other .... cut them back close to but not quite flush with the trunk.  

Otherwise I'd leave it alone ... 'tidying' it could result in a sort of 'lollipop effect' which would look unnatural and a bit odd.

Just make sure that the ties around the trunk and stake are loosened regularly and not rubbing on the bark.  

You have a lovely garden image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Many thanks for all your help.