Forum home Plants

Plant identification request

A small plant appeared in my garden (origin unknown) several years ago which I thought quite attractive so potted it up where it has survived several (mild) winters in the open.imageimage

I don't know if it's a cultivated plant or what's usually classed as a weed. An identification would be appreciated.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391

I think it's a member of the antirrhinum family, possibly Antirrhinum cornutum.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Thankyou, Bob. It certainly bears a distinct resemblance to the photo that accompanies the Wiki article about the plant, but, unfortunately, the distinctive foliage isn't visible there and it's described as an annual endemic to California. I live in a rather dreary suburb of London! Also I've just tried to make the flowers "snap" but they don't seem to have jaws on them like ordinary snapdragons. Neither are the flowers solitary as the article says.

I don't know if all members of the antirrhinum family have snapping flowers, but if they do it seems to rule this out as being a different member of it.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391

I was mainly going by the foliage which looks like all the types I have grown but it could well be something else.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,999

Maybe Linaria alpina (Alpine toadflax) ?

Very nice , all the same .image

• IamweedyIamweedy Cheshire East. Posts: 1,364

I am looking some IRIS   advice . I have not grown them before and I bought these two after they had flowered. 

One stem has broken off and it looks as if there are small bulblets growing where this stem was joined to the main plant but there are no signs of rooting.

Can any one advise if I can get it growing again and how best to try. I tried this post on an earlier iris thread but it seemed to get timed out. (Or you were all in your gardens.)

It is just a bit muddy and does not seem to be rotten at allimage

Last edited: 17 September 2017 19:42:45

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'

• IamweedyIamweedy Cheshire East. Posts: 1,364

Wrong flipping thread but never mind. This has just not been my week.

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,999

I'm not entirely sure on this one , but looks like one of the 'bearded' rhizomatous Irises from your picture ; just plant (top of rhizome exposed to sun) in a lightish soil , free draining and in full sunshine .

• Paul....the flowers are similar to the toadflax....but the foliage?